Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mauritian cakes

Since I'm going through my photos, let me show some of the cakes that we enjoy eating while in Mauritius... my daughter brought some (well the less perishable ones) when she came back from  her holidays.

Mauritius being a multicultural country, we enjoy food from various communities - Chinese, Indian, European etc. And it's great to live in such a country.

We have the napolitaine which is a shortbread biscuit recipe, it's composed of two round shaped biscuits that are stuck together with some red jelly and coated with pink frosting. Well one of them suffered during the trip. She also managed to bring 3 mangoes and a little bag of litchis. I can't describe the delicious smell of the litchis when we opened the paper bag it was in. And it tasted real good too, nothing compared to those we buy at the supermarket!


And  here's some Indian sweets, we call it milk cakes ("gato di lait" in creole)


The moolkoo is a salty crisp made of chickpea flour (I guess). On the top right side of the picture you can see "gato zoreilles" - ear cake - which is in the form of an ear obviously and is sweet and salty at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Tasted these they are yummy ,thanks to my for Bibi

    ReplyDelete

You're welcome to leave a comment!